Arsene Wenger 1 Tony Cascarino expects Arsenal to heap further misery on Jose Mourinho and his Chelsea team this weekend.Mourinho has seen his side suffer a woeful start to their Premier League title defence, with the champions already 11 points adrift of leaders Manchester City after suffering their third defeat in just five games at Everton on Saturday.Blues fans will be hoping they can spark their season into life by beating the Gunners at Stamford Bridge on Saturday, but Cascarino believes there is little chance of his old club claiming victory against Arsene Wenger’s side with the way they are currently playing.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, he said: “I’m not convinced by what I have seen from Chelsea defensively. If you are leaking on average of two goals a game, you are in trouble as a team.“At the moment, Chelsea are having to score three and maybe even four goals to win a football match. It doesn’t feel like Chelsea have got enough to get over the Arsenal.“Arsenal could easily go for the jugular. They have got loads of pace. They have got a poor record [against Chelsea] but it just doesn’t feel like a Jose team that we have seen for many years at the moment.”
The Football Manager Beta is now available and Copa 90 have put together a video of life as FM addict.Recognise any of them?
Josh Chamberlain, who plays for Spartan South Midlands League side Berkhamsted FC, scored an absolute stunner for his side against Kempston Rovers in an FA Vase clash on Saturday. Chamberlain, on Tottenham’s books as a youngster, nutmegged an opposing player on the halfway line before unleashing an unstoppable drive from around 50 yards.Check out the stunning goal above!
There may be light at the end of the tunnel for Bolton’s bleak financial situation, with the Championship club hopeful a takeover can be announced next week.Wanderers’ state was termed “increasingly perilous” by advisor Trevor Birch on Tuesday after it was revealed Neil Lennon’s squad had yet to receive their wages for the month of November.Long-time owner Eddie Davies has elected to pull the plug on his financial backing, but is prepared to wipe out £185million of debt owed to him as part of any deal which would see the club change hands.And despite fears of administration looming at the Macron Stadium, Lennon was able to provide a positive update on the crisis on Thursday morning.“I’ve spoken to Trevor and a few board members this morning and there seems to be some green shoots of recovery now,” said Lennon.“There has been three, maybe four interested parties, and I think it’s a case of first past the post really. Obviously there are a lot of guarantees to be made, a lot of negotiations to go on, but it’s looking healthier than it was two or three days ago.“Trevor’s a lot more confident now that something will get resolved. People are talking to solicitors, it’s basically a question of who can come up with the money first. He seems pretty happy that something will get over the line.“The board, Trevor, are hoping to get new investors in and, hopefully, an announcement (will be) made sometime next week. That will, hopefully, ease the alarm of everyone around the place.”There had been speculation that Wanderers could be plunged into administration as soon as Friday if a prospective buyer was not found, yet Lennon dismissed the suggestion that they would go down that route and incur a 12-point penalty that would wipe out their entire total.“I don’t think that’s the case at all; it’s tomorrow,” he noted. “Trevor’s said that’s just not going to happen so it’s very good news.”Birch’s update on Tuesday made for grim reading but Lennon, whose players attended a meeting with a PFA representative on Tuesday regarding their financial situation, has been encouraged by events since.“I think that scenario has changed a little bit now,” he added.“Over the last 24 hours or so, things have improved in that aspect. Basically I think it’s a race in terms of putting the money down and putting a plan in action.”One party who is known to be interested is the Sports Shield consortium, which is lead by ex-Wanderers striker Dean Holdsworth. And earlier this week Bolton boxer Amir Khan admitted he would be willing to provide financial aid to that party.“I’m prepared to put some money into the consortium and Dean Holdsworth is also prepared to put some money in,” he told the Daily Mirror. “The consortium are holding talks and hopefully a deal can be done. The wage bill has come down and the club’s future could be bright if a deal can be done.” Neil Lennon 1
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Both defendants accepted plea bargains while jury selection was underway in their trial in Pomona Superior Court. Each was charged with murder in the 2001 death of Burmeister, the 20-year-old sorority woman who was kidnapped and slashed to death on her way to a fraternity party in Pomona. The Cerritos woman’s body was found inside her pickup truck on a turnout along Highway 39 above Azusa. Prosecutors say Singer and Dixon helped kidnap the woman and take her into the mountains. They say Dixon is the woman caught on a bank surveillance video using Burmeister’s ATM card to withdraw cash around the time of the kidnapping. Dixon’s husband, James Dixon, is also charged in the case. Prosecutors believe he delivered the fatal knife wound to Burmeister’s throat, and they are seeking the death penalty for him. His trial is set for February. In court on Thursday, Markeisha Dixon was forced to admit specific details of her role in the crime. She said she saw her husband approach Burmeister with a knife in his hand, but she turned away and did not see the killing itself. She said he later admitted the crime to her. Rosi Burmeister, who was in court with her husband and daughter Thursday morning, said the hearing brought mixed emotions. It satisfied her to hear Markeisha Dixon admit to her role in the killing, but the details of what she heard were almost too much for the family to bear. “I think we got a bird’s-eye view of our daughter’s last hours of life,” she said. “It was difficult to listen to that.” Singer’s plea bargain requires that he testify against James Dixon. If he testifies truthfully, he will receive the 25-years-to-life term. If he does not, he could be sentenced to life without parole. Prosecutors declined to comment on the pleas Thursday, saying they didn’t want to say anything that might jeopardize the case against James Dixon. Staff writer Neil Nisperos contributed to this story. email@example.com (909) 483-9325160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! POMONA – Two of the three suspects charged in the slaying of a Cal Poly Pomona student pleaded guilty to murder this week on the eve of their trial. Henry Singer, 29, pleaded guilty Wednesday to the first-degree murder of Christina Burmeister. He will face a sentence of either 25 years to life in prison or life without the possibility of parole. His co-defendant, Markeisha Dixon, 26, admitted to a murder charge Thursday. She was immediately sentenced to 25 years to life in prison. “I think justice has been pretty well served at this point with these two,” said Burmeister’s mother, Rosi. “We’re satisfied with the sentences and I guess we’re glad that part of the process is done.”
They spent last week painting, shingling and putting the finishing touches on their house as part of the 500 hours of “sweat equity” that Habitat families are required to log in exchange for the lower cost of their homes. Families buy their homes, which , through no-profit loans with low monthly payments. . Work on Harborside Terrace began in February, with the Jimmy Carter Work Project putting most of the finishing touches on the homes during a high profile week from Oct. 29 through Nov. 2. Each year, former President Carter and his wife, Rosalynn, donate a week of their time to help build Habitat for Humanity homes, bringing with them celebrities and other volunteers in an effort to raise awareness of the need for affordable housing. “It’s been really nice to see Mr. Carter next door building; it just inspires,” said Guerrero, noting that Carter was her father’s favorite president. “It was all about Jimmy Carter in my house growing up.” Guerrero said she is extremely grateful and excited for their new start. “This is the best decision we’ve ever made to help our family and our children to have a brighter future,” Guerrero said. A few houses down from the Bell-Guerrero family are Rosa Vega and her two children, Rosiel Vega and Adan Martinez. They will soon be moving from a converted garage in Wilmington to their three-bedroom Habitat duplex. Rosa Vega, a widow who works at a school that offers computer and English classes, was already making plans for her new home. She anticipates their move-in day will be an emotional one. “I’m going to cry all day,” she said. “And we’re going to have a big party.” She said she plans to cook for her 15 siblings in her new kitchen. Her children said that the weeklong building blitz was a great experience. “It’s busy and tiring, but at last, we’re going to get the house,” said Martinez, 18. Rosiel Vega, 21, marveled at the number of volunteers. “There’s different people from different countries sharing this experience,” she said. The family said they feel lucky to have been chosen by Habitat on their first try. “A lot of people have been applying for years,” Rosiel Vega said. They said they are looking forward to having the extra space, harbor views and great neighbors. “There’s no words to explain,” Rosa Vega said. “It’s like a dream.” The families are expecting to move in some time in December. are built with volunteer labor and donated supplies The homes this year range from $125,000 to $200,000 firstname.lastname@example.orgWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Rachel Jones Staff Writer Esmeralda Guerrero stood in what would be her kitchen, taking a break from painting. “It’s beautiful,” she said, looking around at her new home. “It’s really coming along.” Guerrero and her husband, Andre Bell, were one of the lucky families selected to buy one of the 16 Habitat for Humanity homes being built in San Pedro last week. They worked alongside former President Carter, celebrities and Habitat volunteers to nearly finish the low-income housing project and were given ceremonial keys to their new homes on Nov. 2. Although the Harborside Terrace homes, at 308 North Palos Verdes St., aren’t quite finished, the families are eager to start their new lives in San Pedro. “It’s really nice to be a part of this,” Guerrero said. “I feel so blessed to have a new home.” She and Bell have been renting a small two-bedroom home in South Los Angeles with their four children and grandchild. The pair were disheartened when it seemed that they could not afford to buy a house in their hometown, even when they both worked full time. Guerrero is also taking online classes to get a degree in health care and plans to get her license to be a registered nurse. “It’s been a long time coming,” Bell said of their new home, a two-story duplex with four bedrooms and a large kitchen and living room.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsFor more news and observations about crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. NORTH HOLLYWOOD – Two robbers were at large today after holding up an art gallery clerk in North Hollywood, escaping with 15 paintings valued up to $1 million, police said. The holdup at the NoHo Art Gallery at 5007 Lankershim Blvd., near Magnolia Boulevard, occurred about 10:30 a.m. yesterday, said Karen Smith of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Media Relations Section. The paintings have a combined value up to $1 million, according to broadcast reports. They were described as two men without masks, Smith said.
Louis van Gaal has criticised former Manchester United playmaker Angel di Maria, saying he never takes responsibility for poor displays.Di Maria criticised Van Gaal this week, claiming his failure to settle at Old Trafford, since a big-money move from Real Madrid, was down to the Dutch manager’s constant changing of the team. The Paris Saint-Germain attacker says he was never allowed to play in just one position.But Van Gaal has hit back at the 28-year-old.The Dutch boss, who broke the British transfer record on the Argentina winger in 2014, responded: “I have never seen (many) players who looks at himself, who looks to the way they have performed here and that is always the fault of the manager.“So he is one of the players who are in the row of players who have no self-criticism and, unfortunately, it is also my life as a manager. It is always like that.” 1 The Argentina winger (left) claims that he was unable to settle at Old Trafford
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan ClarksonAirline arrival and departure monitors showed nearly all flights to and from the stormy Midwest and New England regions to be running on time, a surprise to travelers seeing four-hour ground holds being described on cable news channels. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Airline delays were a hit-and-miss proposition at Los Angeles International Airport Sunday, but perhaps the longest waits passengers faced was waiting to get into terminals to get to planes that were departing on schedule. Passengers holding boarding passes for America West and Southwest airlines flights out of Terminal 1 snaked down World Way in the bright sunshine all afternoon. Although most of those flights go to California, Nevada and Arizona destinations and were on time, the ticket and security lines were long. “I think this is terrible, but at least the line is moving,” said Lori Sampson, 46, a Bay Area resident returning home from a trip to Disneyland. Another Northern Californian looked at the line and concluded that “LAX needs to do a lot better.” Pamela Haskins, on an LAX layover while traveling home to San Francisco from the Bahamas, said airport officials “know the holiday is coming, and they should have it down to a science.”