After 37 summers, the Vermont Mozart Festival will be closing its doors on or before January 15th. Since 1974, the Festival featured world-class performances in beautiful and historic locations around the state. Countless generations of family and friends came together for three weeks each summer to enjoy enchanting classical music under the stars. In recent years, though, the organization began to incur debt from which it simply could not recover.‘In spite of the fact that public support has increased dramatically over the past six years, we have not seen a continuing interest in programming,’ said Executive Director Timothy R. Riddle. ‘The audience has been steadily decreasing. We engaged a wonderful new artistic director to revamp programming, in the hopes of increasing ticket sales. Unfortunately, due to lack of financing, the Festival was unable to continue to move forward with these plans long enough to allow these changes to have an impact.’Riddle was hired on as Development Director in 2005 and promoted to Executive Director in 2007, leading efforts to increase individual and corporate donations and put the organization back into the black.But as fundraising improved, ticket sales dropped. After two years of heavy rain and economic recession, the Festival’s ticket sales had sunk well below expected revenues. Riddle and Board President Richard Parlato announced during August 2009’s Grand Finale concert that the Festival was running a deficit of greater than $400,000.The announcement prompted a swift response from Festival supporters, which helped reduce the deficit by half. The Festival aimed to further reduce debt in 2010 through increased publicity and accompanying ticket sales, by ramping up media coverage and announcing a talented new artistic director, Israeli pianist and composer Gil Shohat. Even the notoriously unpredictable Vermont weather cooperated, with Festival patrons enjoying some of the nicest midsummer evenings in recent memory.However, 2010 ticket sales still remained lower than expected. The Festival was left with a deficit that had crept back up to more than $325,000. Several months were spent pursuing financing with longtime presenting sponsor, People’s United Bank. Vendors patiently waited for payment, but when it became evident that the bank loan request was declined, the organization had no choice but to cease operations.‘I want to thank all our friends and partners for their years of support. The music played a major role in my life and I know in yours. I can assure you this has been neither a simple nor easy decision for the Vermont Mozart Festival board. I will miss all the wonderful summer nights and the magic of the music in our beautiful state,’ said Parlato.The Festival consistently had been named by the Vermont Chamber of Commerce as one of Vermont’s Top Ten Summer Events, and was regarded by its attendees as one of their favorite summer rituals. The Festival was also voted 2010 Best Outdoor Concert Series by Seven Days Magazine and was listed as a Top-Rated Arts Nonprofit by GreatNonprofits.org earlier this year.
A glimpse at what a federal data breach bill should look like will be discussed in the U.S. Senate at a hearing scheduled for Thursday.The Senate subcommittee of consumer protection, product safety, insurance and data security will conduct the hearing, titled “Getting it Right on Data Breach and Notification Legislation in the 114th Congress.”“This hearing will help the committee gain a better understanding of how to develop a clear and consistent national data breach notification standard that will help both companies and consumers when they face data security challenges,” said Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) in a statement.The hearing will feature testimony from experts to inform efforts in crafting a federal data breach bill, and will focus on issues including the consumer benefits of a uniform federal law in place of disparate state laws, the timeliness of notification to consumers and the definition of sensitive personally identifiable information.The House subcommittee on commerce, manufacturing and trade held a similar hearing last week. The Credit Union National Association signed a letter with several other trade organizations that was submitted into the record for that hearing. continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Governor Wolf Orders Flags at Half-Staff to Honor the Victims of the Las Vegas Shooting Flag Order, National Issues, Press Release Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf has ordered all commonwealth flags at the Capitol Complex and throughout the state lowered to half-staff to honor the victims of the attack at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas, Nevada.All commonwealth flags should be flown at half-staff until sunset on Friday, October 6, 2017.Per an order from the White House, the United States Flag has been ordered to fly at half-staff until sunset on Friday, October 6, 2017. October 02, 2017 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
At the beginning of this year, VBV switched its biggest Austrian segregated account – the VBV Passive World Equities Fund – to track a low carbon index provided by MSCI, leading to a reduction in carbon intensity equal to the average annual consumption of about 40,000 diesel cars, it said.This change of index cut the fund’s weighting in the carbon-intensive sectors of energy, raw materials, and suppliers.The VBV Passive World Equities Fund has around €850m of assets and about 1,600 individual stocks, and accounts for around 40% of VBV’s total equity portfolio.VBV said the next stage of its strategy was to roll out an environmental management system over the course of this year, across all areas of the pension fund.This would enable VBV “to once more demonstrate its leadership within the sector,” the pension fund said. The €6.3bn Austrian pension fund VBV has cut the carbon dioxide emissions of its investments by 100,000 tons a year by switching the index used as the basis of its main investment.The reduction equates to a 55% contraction in the size of the pension fund’s carbon footprint, VBV said.Guenther Schiendl, board member and CIO at VBV, said: “In the interest of our customers and with our responsibility for the market in mind, we have decided to send out a signal and hope there will be a knock-on effect among the companies we share the market with.”The pension fund said it was shrinking its carbon footprint and focusing on a sustainable decarbonisation strategy in line with the COP21 Paris Agreement.
Craig Treasure, Villa World, CEO/Managing Director.Buyers seeking entry to the property market want affordable housing and proximity to amenities, according to residential house and land developer Villa World.In the current market conditions, Villa World managing director and CEO Craig Treasure said the company had invigorated their sales strategy to highlight their value product offering in the sector.Queensland flagship projects including The Meadows (Strathpine), Killara (Logan) and Arundel Springs (Gold Coast) have sold well.Profits and development management fees from joint ventures have provided an ongoing income stream for the company, contributing 59 land settlements at the Covella and Rochedale joint ventures, both in Queensland.Villa World recently announced a $17.6 million after-tax half-year profit, compared with $17.3 million for the same period last year.“The current challenging market conditions are part of the cyclical nature of the property industry. However, Villa World has a long history of successfully navigating through market cycles and has a forward strategy focused on helping people reach home and long-term value creation,” Mr Treasure said.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus14 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market14 hours agoThe company provided a market-by-market update for the half-year, noting that while sales were down, property settlements were generally consistent with the previous period.Mr Treasure said Brisbane was the company’s “greatest geographic coverage”.“More than 65 per cent of our portfolio is Brisbane,” he said.“When you look at affordability, Brisbane is the only east coast capital that is affordable – house and land packages are available for $400,000 to $570,000.“Brisbane truly has the affordability edge.”Mr Treasure said while interstate migration was strengthening, more economic activity in Brisbane was needed.“We are optimistic that following the federal election this might happen and finance situations might improve for customers,” he said. “The two big issues for Brisbane customers in the lead up to the election is – how can I borrow and how hard is it to borrow money from the banks.”
Share Share Sharing is caring! Share Tweet 48 Views no discussions LocalNews Former Grenada senator still waiting on new job offer by: – May 18, 2012 Arley GillST GEORGE’S, Grenada — Former Senator Arley Gill is reported to be unemployed, two weeks after Grenada’s Prime Minister Tillman Thomas said he had offered him a new job as an ambassador.Gill, who is public relations officer of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), was first appointed to the Upper House of Parliament in 2003 following the party’s narrow 8 – 7 general election loss to the New National Party.He chaired most of the NDC’s public meetings in the election campaign of 2008. After the party’s victory and ascension to government office, he was reappointed a senator by Thomas, leader of the NDC.However, in the aftermath of the April 30 resignation from government of MP Peter David as Tourism and Civil Aviation Minister, the prime minister announced that Gill was being removed from the Upper House to make room for a new senator, Dr George Vincent, who was sworn in as the new Minister of Tourism, Civil Aviation and Culture on May 7.“Dr Vincent brings to the position the requisite knowledge, experience, respect and track record to effectively perform the requirements of that position,” Thomas said in a national radio and television address on May 3.In the address, Thomas also announced that Gill “will be appointed as Special Envoy on Ocean Governance with ambassadorial status, to work in the first instance on the delimitation of our maritime boundaries. This is an area in which he has some expertise and keen interest.”Government sources, who did not want to be identified, confirmed that a contract has not yet been drafted and offered to Gill, who is a lawyer by profession.Gill, when contacted about the status of the special envoy position announced by the prime minister, declined to comment.At the time of the revocation of his appointment as a senator, Gill was serving as Minister of State in the Ministry of Tourism, Civil Aviation and Culture.Since assuming office almost four years ago, the government has fired or refused to renew expired contracts of several prominent NDC members and supporters.One local newspaper that is close to the government has suggested that more dismissals could be underway, with the main targets being anyone considered to be friendly to former Tourism Minister David.New Today, quoting what it describes as a “strategist” with the NDC administration, said thought is being placed on “reviewing the status of some persons who are known supporters of David and might be inclined to create problems for Prime Minister Thomas. He pointed to a few persons serving at overseas posts, especially in the New York area.”Caribbean News Now
Rush County, IN — A single-vehicle crash in Rush County Tuesday morning claimed the life of a Rushville teen and injured another. Rush County Deputies were called to County Road 350 East, just north of County Road 300 North, for a report of a vehicle off the left side of the road into a tree. Two teenage victims were transported from the scene by Rushville E.M.S. to Rush Memorial Hospital. Deputies then summoned Indiana State Police Crash Reconstruction Investigators to the scene to investigate the crash.The preliminary investigation by troopers indicates that the 2006 Chevy Malibu, driven by a 16-year-old male from Rushville, was northbound on CR 350 E at a high rate of speed when the vehicle disregarded the stop sign at CR 300 N and went air born over the intersection.The driver lost control of the car with it leaving the left side of CR 350 E and hitting a tree broadside. The passenger, Kameron Cox, age 16 of Rushville, was ejected from the vehicle. Cox later succumbed to his injuries at Rush Memorial Hospital. The male driver was transported with non-life-threatening injuries.The name of the driver is currently being withheld as the crash remains under investigation.
Press Association Tim Sherwood has been placed in interim charge of Spurs, while Hoddle, Fabio Capello and Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino have emerged as contenders for the position. Former England boss Hoddle was in charge at Spurs between 2001 and 2003 but has not been in club management since Wolves in 2006. A story on a website co-founded by Hoddle suggested he is awaiting a call from White Hart Lane and read “Zapsportz.com understands that Hoddle will certainly help if the club makes an approach.” Former Tottenham owner Sir Alan Sugar, ex-Spurs striker Gary Lineker and Hoddle’s former Spurs team-mate Ossie Ardiles are all backing the 56-year-old’s appointment. “For me, the man for the job is Glenn Hoddle,” Ardiles, Spurs boss from 1993 to 1994, told TalkSPORT. “I think he is a wonderful manager and he is a lot more mature, so I think he will be a wonderful choice. “He knows everything about the Premier League and Spurs especially.” Villas-Boas was sacked after Sunday’s 5-0 loss at home to Liverpool, with Sherwood placed in temporary charge. Despite the Reds reverse and the earlier 6-0 defeat at Manchester City, Ardiles has confidence in the Spurs squad. The former Argentina midfielder added: “I believe whoever is the manager will have a wonderful, wonderful squad. They have one of the best squads in the Premier League in fact. Glenn Hoddle is ready to return to football management with Tottenham, if approached by the club in the wake of the sacking of Andre Villas-Boas. “Unfortunately, things have not gone right this season, but in terms of the quality of our players it is absolutely second to none. “It is a wonderful job at the end of the day. It is a big squad and a superb squad.” Sherwood, who is already on the coaching staff at White Hart Lane, is to take charge of Spurs in an interim role, beginning with Wednesday night’s Capital One Cup quarter-final at home against West Ham. Sherwood’s interim role could be extended for a longer period depending on the club’s search for a permanent successor. The Hammers won 3-0 in the Premier League contest at White Hart Lane in early October and face a Tottenham side without captain Michael Dawson and midfielders Paulinho and Sandro. Paulinho misses the first of three matches for his dismissal against Liverpool, Dawson is banned for one match and Sandro is expected to be out for around a week with a calf injury. Danny Rose (toe), Christian Eriksen (ankle), Vlad Chiriches (knee) and Younes Kaboul (thigh) could all return, but defender Jan Vertonghen (ankle) is out.
For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: The India vs Bangladesh Test at Eden Gardens will be a historic one on November 22. This will be the first time that a Pink Ball Test will be played in the sub-continent. It will be the first time both India and Pakistan will be playing a Day-Night Test. After years of opposition, India have finally agreed to play the Pink Ball Test under the leadership of BCCI president Sourav Ganguly, who is a fan of Day-Night Test. During the practice session at the Holkar stadium in Indore, some members of the Indian cricket team were seen practising with the Pink Ball. In the press conference, skipper Virat Kohli had his take on the pink ball. Kohli stressed on two important things while facing the pink ball.”I hadn’t played with the pink ball before. I was given an opportunity to try and I wanted to. So that was my mind-set behind playing with the pink ball. You require extra concentration to pick the pink ball suddenly when you’re playing with the red ball. It was to work on the reflexes a little bit as well. Because when you play with the red ball in the net and you arrive at the pink ball, it gets very difficult to pick, which can be the case in the game as well. To get into that zone was the reason behind it,” Kohli said.In addition, Kohli added that in order for the pink ball to be effective, the pitch must be lively and that dew will be an intriguing factor. “If the pitch has extra help for the bowlers, then they will be in the game, especially fast bowlers throughout the course of the Test match. I don’t know how the old ball behaves because with the dew and the lacquer going off, it will be interesting to see how much the old ball does. With the pink ball having enough life in the pitch will be very important factor,” Kohli added. The skipper is focused on delivering a solid performance in the Indore Test and is not too focused on the Pink Ball Test in Kolkata.Recently, Kohli had made a statement that Test matches needed to be played in five centres in order to boost the popularity of the longer format of the game. When asked about whether he does not want to see Indore hosting a Test, Kohli once again clarified.Also Read | India Will Play First-Ever Day-Night Test Against Bangladesh At Eden Gardens “I said that because if you look at the ratio, a stadium like Indore attracted a decent crowd but a lot of others didn’t. And it can’t be that one stadium gets games and the others don’t. Indore is the kind of place where if you play a T20, you won’t find a single empty seat. And in One-dayers it won’t be empty at all. It’s not about taking away matches from them. Just a vision about how we can get together and raise Test cricket,” Kohli said.