DMRT receive overwhelming response to recruitment drive

first_img Pinterest Harps come back to win in Waterford WhatsApp DL Debate – 24/05/21 Twitter Google+ News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic By News Highland – February 21, 2021 Facebook Due to the overwhelming number of responses to their recruitment drive, Donegal Mountain Rescue have closed their expression in interest link.The Donegal Mountain Rescue Team provides an emergency response, remote environment and extreme terrain, search and rescue service for Donegal.The team is comprised completely of volunteers who are on 24 hour call.The rescue team launched a recruitment drive and opened a link for expressions of interest for a limited number of trainee members to join their team.The voluntary team say due to the high volume of interest, applications have now closed.Donegal Mountain Rescue have thanked everyone who submitted a form and say they will be in contact with anyone they feel is suitable to apply as a trainee member. Homepage BannerNewscenter_img Previous articleMan arrested in Monaghan following discovery of cannabis grow houseNext articleThose with underlying illnesses expected to be moved up vaccine priority list News Highland Google+ WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty DMRT receive overwhelming response to recruitment drive Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population growslast_img read more

Suspect in decades-old murder, rape cold cases in Maryland identified through DNA: Police

first_imgMontgomery County, Maryland, Police Department(ROCKVILLE, Maryland) — The man behind a 1989 rape and a 1994 rape and murder in suburban, Washington, D.C., has finally been identified through DNA and genetic genealogy, according to local police.But the suspect, Kenneth Earl Day, died in 2017 in West Virginia at the age of 52, the Montgomery County, Maryland, Police Department said Friday.Police allege Day raped a woman who was walking in Rockville, Maryland, on June 25, 1989.Authorities said he was also behind the rape and strangulation of Le Bich-Thuy, whose body was found near her Rockville home on October 3, 1994.DNA was recovered at the scenes and authorities determined the same suspect committed both crimes, police said. But when the suspect’s DNA was entered into CODIS — the Combined DNA Index System, a law enforcement database — there was no match, and the cases went cold, police said.In 2017, cold case detectives reached out to DNA technology company Parabon NanoLabs, and using the suspect’s DNA left at the crime scenes, Parabon analysts created a composite of what the suspect might have looked like, police said. Investigators released that image to the public, hoping someone would recognize him, police said.Then, Parabon used the suspect’s DNA in a novel investigative technique known as genetic genealogy.Genetic genealogy takes the DNA an unknown killer left behind at a crime scene and identifies the suspect by tracing the family tree through his or her family members, who voluntarily submit their DNA to public genealogy databases.This allows police to create a much larger family tree than using DNA submissions to law enforcement databases like CODIS, in which an exact match to the suspect is needed in most states, according to CeCe Moore, chief genetic genealogist with Parabon.The first public arrest through genetic genealogy was the April 2018 identification of the suspected “Golden State Killer.” Since then, genetic genealogy has helped identify more than three dozen suspects in violent crimes, said Moore.Once investigators zeroed in on Day as the suspect through genetic genealogy, detectives took a sample of Day’s DNA from his autopsy and investigators found it was a match to the suspect’s DNA from both crime scenes, police said.Investigators are looking to determine if Day was connected to any other unsolved crimes. Police ask anyone with information about him to call the Montgomery County Department of Police – Major Crimes Division, Cold Case Section at 240-773-5070.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Fighting the good fight

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Serial Woman Beater Floyd Mayweather Defends Ray Rice, Blasts NFL

first_imgThis is where America exemplifies a great degree of hypocrisy. The many millions of people who were outraged by Ray Rice’s singular act of domestic violence will turn around and pay to attend and watch Floyd Mayweather’s boxing match — including millions of women.Some women will even host fight parties to watch Money Mayweather, helping to make him even more millions of dollars on top of what he already has, despite the fact that Mayweather is a chronic woman beater who even spent time in jail for his transgressions.Now Mayweather took the time to defend Rice and blast the NFL and Baltimore Ravens for indefinitely suspending him and cutting him from the team, respectively, this past week for the emergence of a video showing Rice knocking out his then-fiancé Jonay Palmer.Pretty Boy Floyd ridiculed the NFL for exponentially raising the two-game suspension to an indefinite suspension that puts Rice’s football career in great peril. Mayweather, who is now being sued by yet another woman for beating and humiliating her, said a deal’s a deal.“They had said that they had suspended him for two games,” Mayweather told reporters, according to The Ring. “Wheather they saw the tape or not, I truly believe a person should stick to their word. “If you tell me you’re going to do something, do what you say you’re going to do. But once again, I’m not in the NFL, so I can’t really speak about the situation.”As most recall, Mayweather had to spend two months in jail in 2012 for domestic battery charges, said he saw the Rice video but still doesn’t believe the NFL should’ve extended the suspension.“I think there are a lot worst things that go on in other people’s households also. It’s just not caught on video,” said Mayweather.What did you expect a serial woman beater to say? Mayweather, 37, has a long and trifling history of beating up women in ways he never would with a man:In 2002, he pleaded guilty to two counts of domestic violence and was given a six-month suspended sentence and two days of house arrest.Mayweather was also convicted of misdemeanor battery in 2004 for fighting with two women in a Las Vegas nightclub and given a one-year suspended sentence and ordered into counseling.Mayweather said he’s been the victim of false accusations.“Like I’ve said in the past, no bumps, no bruises, no nothing,” Mayweather said.It is here that Mayweather descends into the idiotic with his next statement.“With O.J. and Nicole (Simpson), you seen pictures. With Chris Brown and Rihanna, you seen pictures. With (Chad) Ochocinco and Evelyn, you seen pictures. You guys have yet to see any pictures of a battered woman, a woman who says she was kicked and beaten (by Mayweather). So I just live my life and try to stay positive, and try to become a better person each and every day.”If Mayweather is innocent of all these charges of domestic violence — including holding a gun to a woman while heMayweather said he wishes Rice “nothing but the best” and suggested that he understood what he was going through.“I know he’s probably going through a lot right now because football is his passion, football is his love. It’s no different than with me being in the fight game,” Mayweather was quoted as saying. “If they told me, ‘Floyd, you’ve got the biggest deal in sports history,’ and then a couple months later, they say, ‘You know what, your deal is taken away from you’ — oh, man. It’s not really just the money, it’s just the love of the sport, the passion.”Mayweather will put his WBC/WBA welterweight titles on the line on Saturday night when he fights Marcos Maidana in Las Vegas.last_img read more

Liberals infrastructure program problems detailed in internal documents

first_imgOTTAWA — Newly released documents show a focus on small projects bogged down the first phase of the Liberal governments new infrastructure program.An internal analysis obtained by The Canadian Press under the access-to-information law, shows 32 departments handed out $14.4 billion in the first phase of the program.Almost one-third of the projects needed less than $100,000 in federal support but required the same detailed reviews as much bigger projects which delayed construction and the flow of federal cash.The government has been criticized for the slower-than-anticipated pace of infrastructure dollars leaving the federal treasury.The Liberals argue tracking federal spending can be misleading because funds only flow once receipts are filed, which causes a lag between when work occurs and money is paid out.A spokeswoman says Infrastructure Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne is able to approve projects worth up to $50 million, putting the vast majority of projects under the minister’s authority and reducing timelines for approvals.The Canadian Presslast_img read more